Harley Quinn – Issue #1 – February 2014 (DC Comics)

Please follow and like us:

TITLE: Harley Quinn – Issue #1

YEAR: February 2014

COMPANY: DC Comics

Writers: Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti

Artist: Chad Hardin

Colorist: Alex Sinclair

Letterer: John J. Hill

Cover: Amanda Conner & Paul Mounts

Editor: Katie Huberg

Group Editor: Mike Marts

Created by Paul Dini & Bruce Timm


For those who grew up watching the old episodes of the popular “The Batman Adventures” animated series and have watched the character Harley Quinn evolve from the animated series, to comic books and the “Suicide Squad” live-action film, suffice to say, Harley has come a long way!

She has evolved to something more than just the Joker’s girlfriend, she has become one of the most dangerous female characters of the DC Universe.

And in 2014, Harley Quinn received a new comic book series as part of “The New 52”.

In this new series, Harley is moving to New York City and taking over an apartment building left to her by a passing patient from Arkham Asylum.

Immediately, after seeing her apartment building and meeting the tenants and most of all having a sweet pad to live in, she finds out that as the new owners, she is responsible for back taxes owed, real estate taxes, insurance and upkeep for the building.  Tenant rent is only good for 45%, Harley needs to come up with the other 55% and with makeup to cover her bleached exterior, she takes a job as a therapist by day and by night, a member of a roller derby team where she can win extra money.

But as Harley is excited about her new job opportunities to pay for her new place to live, there are also assassins after her head and watching over her, waiting for the perfect time to kill her.

But with Harley’s new tenants on her side, will Harley enjoy this new life of hers?

As mentioned, Harley Quinn has come a long way and with the popularity of the character, there has been more exploration of her life and mental instability in her solo comic series.

For the most part, this Harley Quinn is a much more entertaining version of the character compared to the Harley Quinn I grew up watching on “The Batman Adventures”.  I know it’s subjective but it’s easier to see a more darker, more dangerous version of Harley vs. the old Joker sidekick, Harley.

But I only have read very few, so it’ll be interesting to explore the Harley Quinn that DC is showcasing today versus the one I grew up watching and reading back in the’ 90s.


 

Please follow and like us: